The Depot Museum in Naples FL is part of the Collier County Museum system. It is located in the former Naples railroad terminal building. There are exhibits illustrating the history of transportation in the area, from the offshore coastal boats to the railroads to the automobile highway.
In the 1910s and 1920s, most of Florida was empty, and most travel was by boat. In 1927 the railroads reached Naples, and the tourist trade began as northeasterners began arriving at local beach hotels for the winter. In the 1930’s, Highway 41 connected Naples to Tampa Bay by road, and in the 1950’s this roadway was extended over to Miami. And in the 1960’s regular air service was begun between Naples and the northeast.
Here are some photos from a visit to the museum.